What can you see from your windows? What sort of environs do we live in? Check all that apply:
Post
-
What can you see from your windows?postato in Uncategorized
-
RE: Snake-oil-salesman-in-Chief.postato in Uncategorized
@AkaSci Every day, there's a new level of stupid.
-
Well for the second time since July 1, the neighborhood ditches filled up.postato in Uncategorized
Well for the second time since July 1, the neighborhood ditches filled up. We'd never seen even a puddle in them for the previous 2yrs.
I guess that's our second 100yr storm in 6wks?
-
RE: Heard the radio version of this story about carnivorous plant that Darwin studied being further analyzed lately.postato in Uncategorized
@labrezza depends if sentience is a threshold or a spectrum. Perhaps. But one could see it as eating an animal by proxy.
-
RE: Heard the radio version of this story about carnivorous plant that Darwin studied being further analyzed lately.postato in Uncategorized
Hmm, what if there were a carnivorous plant that was edible for humans – would vegans/vegetarians feel comfortable about eating it? A loophole!
-
Heard the radio version of this story about carnivorous plant that Darwin studied being further analyzed lately.postato in Uncategorized
Heard the radio version of this story about carnivorous plant that Darwin studied being further analyzed lately.
Its bug-eating ways finally confirmed at long last using a radioactive tracer in the bugs, followed into the plant cells. Nice technique.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/darwin-flesh-eating-plant-9.7298795
-
RE: Thinking about the "sister city" thing following a radio piece, and about how it seems pretty meaningless in many cases.postato in Uncategorized
@valhalla oh good point, why skip an opportunity for an elaborate meal on their expense-account.
-
RE: Thinking about the "sister city" thing following a radio piece, and about how it seems pretty meaningless in many cases.postato in Uncategorized
@valhalla ha! Nearby sisters. That would be funny. The trade and tourism delegations could meet and be home for lunch.
-
Thinking about the "sister city" thing following a radio piece, and about how it seems pretty meaningless in many cases.postato in Uncategorized
Thinking about the "sister city" thing following a radio piece, and about how it seems pretty meaningless in many cases.
I had no idea where Ottawa's sister city is. It never seems to be mentioned nor celebrated here. Turns out we have two – Beijing and Catania.
Presumably it's supposed to foster trade and tourism relationships, but I suspect beyond an initial announcement, it usually fades into obscurity.
Does your city celebrate and build on a sister city relationship?
-
Decided to save my back, and the car's suspension, and just order a stack of pavers and bagged gravel instead of getting a bit at a time for months, like most summers.postato in Uncategorized
Decided to save my back, and the car's suspension, and just order a stack of pavers and bagged gravel instead of getting a bit at a time for months, like most summers.
So a palette load of stuff showed up this morning and the effort was just the wheelbarrow work to nice it into the back yard. Not insignificant, and a nice accomplishment for a Tuesday morning.
-
RE: Got a likely all-day waiting room day here.postato in Uncategorized
@GustavinoBevilacqua also good.
There's another English word "haversack" which seems archaic to my ears, yet still understandable. Not sure if that's still in modern usage anywhere in the English-speaking world. Maybe UK?
-
RE: Got a likely all-day waiting room day here.postato in Uncategorized
@GustavinoBevilacqua nice – can always use another synonym!
-
RE: Got a likely all-day waiting room day here.postato in Uncategorized
I think "knapsack" is a #Canadianism, no?
We also use backpack, but that's usually a physically larger item, in my usage. We don't often use rucksack, but generally understand it, at least in the circles around me in my lifetime.
-
Got a likely all-day waiting room day here.postato in Uncategorized
Got a likely all-day waiting room day here.
Got some quality reading material though. And if I'm really desperate I think there's a Sudoku pad that's been buried in my knapsack for about fifteen years.
-
RE: During #saturdayMorningGuitar I was thinking I need to make a #guitar stand for my currently under-repair guitar ( #yamakiGuitarRepair) both as a future stand-by place and to get it off my workbench occasionally now that it's in one stable piece.postato in Uncategorized
Some of the prices of fabricated guitar stands for sale are in the realm of comedy. A couple of dollars worth of wood and finish and listed for $hundreds or $thousands?
The $30 prices are a bit more realistic.
-
During #saturdayMorningGuitar I was thinking I need to make a #guitar stand for my currently under-repair guitar ( #yamakiGuitarRepair) both as a future stand-by place and to get it off my workbench occasionally now that it's in one stable piece.postato in Uncategorized
During #saturdayMorningGuitar I was thinking I need to make a #guitar stand for my currently under-repair guitar ( #yamakiGuitarRepair) both as a future stand-by place and to get it off my workbench occasionally now that it's in one stable piece.
I was looking at the myriad shapes and designs that exist, not many striking my fancy, but I think I can adapt something and build it with scrap wood for zero cost. (maybe equiv of $5-10 if it were new material.)
Sketching…
-
I've just wrapped up our #taxes for 2025, and sent big bags of money over to the government.postato in Uncategorized
I've just wrapped up our #taxes for 2025, and sent big bags of money over to the government.
I'll now go out to the nearest federal building and claim the vestibule as my own sovereign territory. "I paid for it, it's mine!"
Or maybe they can name it after me –The Ottaross Vestibule. "I'd like a ribbon cutting ceremony please!"
-
Ottawa Earthquakes - for entertainment purposes only.postato in Uncategorized
Ottawa Earthquakes - for entertainment purposes only.
-
RE: Are we earthquaking?postato in Uncategorized
@GustavinoBevilacqua Yes, watching for it to come up. Not sure of the magnitude, but I'm guessing about a 4.2 to 4.5 range.